Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A More Hip Version Of "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes!"

Before the short one potty trained my husband and I put him in pull ups. It was a conscious decision that we did not take lightly. After having tried to potty train him for over a year at that point, we felt he needed some ownership in his potty training. He knew he had peed in his pull ups, we knew he had peed in his pull ups, so it was up to HIM to change them.

One night my husband had been upstairs getting the boys ready for bed and had just got frustrated, so he came downstairs to do dishes instead. After a while I went upstairs to see what was going on. The short one, still naked as the day he was born from not having changed his pull up before bed, was sitting on the edge of his bed.

The short one says to me, "hey, mom, look!" like he figured out the coolest thing in the world. Then, with the motions and the whole bit he sings, "head, shoulders, penis, toes."

I paused, like I couldn't have heard or saw what I just heard and saw and I said, "what was that, sweetie?"

And he did it again.

My eyes grew large and I started to choke, because I could not laugh. Not there! Not right in front of my 3 year old son who if I laughed at him singing something like that would sing it that way forever more.... especially in .... PRIMARY! And I ran from the room. I ran down stairs and told my husband I couldn't do it. So he goes upstairs and comes right back downstairs and is all disgusted.

I said, "Did he do it for you?"

Husband says, "Do what? Darn kid still won't get ready for bed!"

So I told him. And we laughed. And we laughed. And we laughed. And we laughed. And laughed some more. Then we both went up and got the kids ready for bed without further incident. Then the husband and I laughed some more. :)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! What a classic parenting experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so hilarious! I hope he doesn't do it in Primary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I am never gonna hear that song the right way again. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete